Restaurant and food reviews from Perth, Australia

Sunday, November 28, 2010

La Galette De France, Nedlands

As much as the outline of my stomach says no, I love stuffing my face with sweet things - French pastries included.  So here I find myself at one of those great casual places for your French bakery and coffee shop/cafe needs.  La Galette De France has branches around Perth but on this occasion I made my way to the main one in Nedlands.

The atmosphere at La Galette De France is part bakery, part coffee shop/café.  With a handful of tables inside and another handful outside, La Galette De France can get pretty busy.  However, given it does coffee and cake or light meals, it’s reasonably high turnover so it’s not impossible to get a table.

Menu-wise, La Galette De France offers a range of mainly French bakery products from an awesome French stick, baguette and croissant, to sweet pastries.  However, L a Galette takes it even further with a range of cooked to order light meals such as sweet and savoury crepes, as well as coffee.

Complete Crepe - $9

This crepe was a folded parcel filled with ham, cheese, egg and the egg's raw egg yolk was neatly placed in the middle.

This crepe was light and the savoury flavours were subtle yet satisfying.  The raw egg centre was a little peculiar but perhaps it was their take on the tartare with the use of raw egg similar to other French cooking.  Definitely something different to what I'm used to.

Banana Delight Crepe - $9

This sweet crepe was layered with sliced banana, chocolate, and slices of roasted almonds.  It was also accompanied by vanilla ice cream.

I haven’t decided whether I classify this is a sweet meal or a dessert but it felt like it could be either.  The combination of the crepe with sweet flavours made for a nice indulgent crepe that was evenly coated with the banana, chocolate and almonds.  Perhaps too indulgent though as I felt like I ate too much by the end of it.

Lemon and Lime Macaroon, Chocolate and Cherry Macaroon - $2.80 each; Gingerbread Man - $4

These macaroons (yes it was spelt that way) tasted great and were nicely made with the biscuit portion having a soft, light texture that didn't crumble but was easy to bite through.  The macaroons were also filled with a layer of flavoured cream.

The lemon and lime macaroon had a sweetened taste of the sour lemon and lime running through it making it quite a tangy macaroon.

The chocolate and cherry macaroon had a type of crushed cherry filling and chocolate cream centre.

Gingerbread Man - $4

Yum.  I'm eating this as I type right now.

This Gingerbread Man was wrapped in plastic and came decorated with hundreds and thousands from waist below.

The Gingerbread Man had a soft, light, aerated, breakable and biteable texture, and a ginger wholemeal-like texture and taste.  At $4, not exactly cheap but it sure did taste good.  However, I still have issues with tearing a "man" up and eating him.

Cappuccino - $3.80

This cappuccino was pretty good.  The beans in this milky cappuccino only had a hint of bitterness.  Froth-wise, the foam was very smooth and dense.

In summary, La Galette De France can meet your French patisserie needs as well as offer a casual coffee shop with a distinct French based menu.  Maybe not the best for my not as flat as it should be stomach, but it does taste good.

Points to note:  Many people takeaway the bread, pastries and even coffee.  However, you can dine in for your coffee and crepe or pastry too in the casual coffee shop style seating arrangements.

Go for:  French pastries, crepes, and maybe some coffee to top it off.



La Galette De France
125b Broadway
NEDLANDS WA 6009
(08) 9386 5097

La Galette De France Nedlands on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Sisterhood of the Travelling Palate said...

We love the banana and chocolate crepes and the lemon tarts... YUM!

Anonymous said...

Hi The Aussie Bite, this review has resulted in me calling up my girlies and making a chocolate date at San Churros tonight…there goes the diet! Why can't I read about chocolate without immediately needing to eat it! I was wondering if I could maybe get some help? I’m working on an app atm, and a part of the app will have bloggers recommending 5-10 places in their city to check out, I was wondering if you might recommend maybe a few places you love? I will put links up to your blog on the app and so far we have 2,000 signed up to download the app you can pop on here – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG93enNmdHRPOTVuUWVqOFJMUElibnc6MQ or email me on lauren@heylets.com xxx